Quantity: 12 cupcakes – Time: 90min – Difficulty: Easy
- 175 gr of flour
- 150 gr of brown sugar
- 75 gr of softened butter
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 125 ml of milk
- 75 gr of chopped dark chocolate
- 30 gr of chocolate powder
- 200 gr of white sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 60 ml of water
- 200 gr of softened butter
- Also need:
- Silver Dust
- Silver Star-shaped Sprinkles
- Pre-heat the oven at 180ºC (356°F)
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, chopped chocolate, chocolate powder and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Add the softened butter and eggs and slowly mix (I recommend and electric mixer for this).
- Finally, add the milk and mix again.
- Place the batter in cupcake lined tins.
- Place the cupcakes in the oven for 20/22 minutes or until a skewer comes of clean.
- While the cupcakes bake, start on the swiss merengue buttercream.
- In a small saucepan combine white sugar and water.
- Place the pan in a high heat until it starts to boil.
- Once it boils, start beating the egg whites into a standing mixer (preferably with a metal bowl because of the sugar syrup that we are adding being quite hot).
- Once the sugar syrup thickens a little (if it coats the back of a spoon), pour it in the mixer.
- You should do that slowly in a thin string.
- Let the merengue beat in the mixer until the bowl comes to room temperature (that can take up to 30 minutes so be patient).
- Finally add the butter in small pieces beating constantly.
- Divide the buttercream in 4 portions and color 3 of them in light blue, pink and purple, leaving one portion white.
- In a pastry bag with a star tip (I used Wilton’s 1M) place the colored buttercream into 3 separated sections so you get a swirl effect.
- In the remaining space place the white buttercream so it mixes with the colors.
- Do a simple swirl on the cupcakes: start at the middle of the cupcake going out and around it and then start going up in the same motion.
- You will get a galaxy cupcake, you are just missing the stars.
- Finish the cupcakes with the silver dust and star-shaped sprinkles and enjoy.